Friday, 14 of May, 2021 – Again and again we revisiting lovely Montreux, a resort town in the west of Switzerland, in the French-speaking canton of Vaud. Here is a few interesting facts about this place:
- The city of Montreux is considered as one of the noblest resorts in Switzerland. If you want to have a relaxing holiday or an adventurous one, Montreux has something to offer to all its visitors. It has many lakeside hotels, and most of them were built in the 19th century. One can admire the beauty of the amazing town, with a spectacular view of soaring green mountains behind it. You can also choose to stay in Fairmont Le Montreux Palace, where the Jazz legends Dizzy Gillespie and Charles Mingus had once stayed. Various other big names at the popular jazz festival make this Palace their second home.
- The Montreux Jazz Festival is the second largest Jazz festival in the world! The Jazz Festival has been held since 1967 and takes place every year in early July.
- Famous people who loved to relax, live and create in the city of Montreux: Vladimir Nabokov from 1960 until his death in 1977 lived with his wife Vera. He is buried next to Montreux. Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Lev Tolstoy and Igor Stravinsky at one time rested and lived in Montreux. A concert hall in Montreux is named after Stravinsky. In Montreux, the Romanian traveller Basil Assan, the first Romanian to travel around the world, died. Mountain Studios, located in the Casino building, belonged to the Queen group from 1979 to 1993. This studio has recorded Jazz, Hot Space, A Kind of Magic, The Miracle, Innuendo, Made in Heaven, as well as some albums by AC / DC, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Chris Rea, Rolling Stones, Yes and solo projects of former members Queen. Stars like Freddy Mercury and Lord Byron, as well as some of the most discreet crowned heads of Europe, are associated with this beautiful city of Montreux. After living a hectic life in London for a couple of years, Freddie Mercury decided to visit Montreux for a festival. He fell in love with the beautiful, serene surroundings so much that he decided to call it as his home. A total of 7 albums were recorded during Queen’s time in Montreux, and as a reminder of the fantastic lead singer of the band, the city decided to have a statue of Freddie built on the lake shore of Montreux. Here to these days they love, remember and honour the memory of Freddie Mercury.
- The Fédération Internationale de Roller Sports was founded in Montreux in 1924.
- Montreux HC is the oldest roller hockey club in Switzerland, founded in 1911.
- Montreux is the home for world famous prisoners.The famous Chillon Castle, which is located on a rocky island, is a popular landmark since 1879. The world famous Chateau de Chillon is just a short ride away from the town – it is a conspicuous castle and fortress that was built in the 13th century, on a rocky island in the lake. It is one of the most wonderful historical buildings in Swiss, with a unique setting on the shores of the beautiful lake. The old castle was the residence of Counts of Savoy during the Middle Age. The Castle, which was originally a fortress, underwent several transformations with an idea to adapt to the advances in the offensive and defensive weapons. Apart from this, other modifications were occasioned by embellishments and facilities suited to the ceremony of life in this fortress-cum-castle. Inspiring poets, artists and writers through the ages, the Chateau is open all year round and one can take a guided tour to this place to know about its history. In fact, the entire city has a long history of visitors and celebrity residents.
- Montreux is for Shopaholics. If you love shopping, visit Montreux during Christmas time as every year Montreux hosts an amazing Christmas market for several days, over the holiday period. The main street through the town as well as the lakeside pathway is full of wooden chalets where you can pick anything from local crafts and chocolates to local wine. The surroundings are magical, and you can even enjoy ice skating and a ride in ferris wheel. Apart from these special Christmas stalls, the regular shops are also open to offer you more options and variety. Do not forget to buy some of the cheapest souvenirs from the Kiosque Biblique, which is located in a small chalet near Eurotel.
- Located in the heart of West Switzerland, between Lake Geneva and the mountains, the town of Montreux looks like a postcard… so incredibly beautiful. And this live card changes every day, every hour, depending of the weather. And all the options are wonderful.
- Friday is market day in Montreux. During the summer months the entire coast is one continuous market.
- The population in Montreux today is 26,000.
Our warmest wishes for the reader of this article to visit this wonderful place!